Basic salary scales and fringe benefits are established through negotiations between the teachers' association and representatives of the government. In some cases, supplementary negotiations take place at the school board level concerning additional fringe benefits and conditions of work.

Other Benefits:

  • compassionate leave
  • supplementary medical insurance
  • cumulative sick leave
  • longterm disability insurance
  • maternity leave
  • retirement gratuities
  • sabbatical and study leave
  • life insurance
  • dental insurance

General Social Security

As citizens of Canada, teachers are required to participate in the social security programs of the federal government. These include Unemployment Insurance and the Canada/Quebec Pension Plan. The Unemployment Insurance plan provides benefits to persons who are unemployed through maternity or illness, as well as through general unavailability of suitable work. The Canada/Quebec Pension Plan provides a basic minimum retirement allowance and, in addition, some disability and survivors' benefits.


Here you will find links to information and resources we have researched and made available for your use.  We are always looking for more resources to add, so if you have an idea or would like to see something in particular, please e-mail us and let us know.  All information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.

International (Non-Canadian)

This section will help you to determine your options for obtaining a work permit. Generally speaking, if you have a specialized skill that is in short supply, you’ll have an easier time with the application process. There are many different ways to get a work permit and the goal is to find the most efficient and most appropriate option for you.

The main factors used to determine the options are citizenship, experience, education and the position being filled. The work permit types relevant to positions that are common to the education sector include:

United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA)

BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)

Labour Market Opinion (LMO)

The Skilled Worker program is one method of obtaining permanent residency in Canada, this program uses a points-based system where applicants receive points for a variety of areas including education, work experience, language skills in English/French, arranged employment and more. Please see the Citizen and Immigration Canada website for more details including a self-assessment. Employer involvement is not required to apply as a Skilled Worker.

If you are already an employee working with a work permit, you may request a letter from the Employer confirming employment to accompany the application. 

 These not-for-profit agencies offer programs to help immigrants.




Teacher Development and Certification

Alberta Education

10044-108 Street NW

Edmonton, Alberta,


T5J 5E6

Click here for information on Alberta teaching certification requirements or to apply on-line.

Teacher Qualification Service

The Alberta Teachers'


Barnett House

11010 - 142 Street NW

Edmonton, Alberta

T5N 2R1

For more information visit their web site 


Provincial Examinations, Student

and Teacher Services

Saskatchewan Education

1500 - 4th Avenue

Regina, Saskatchewan

S4P 3V7

Secretary, Teacher Classification Board Teacher Services

Saskatchewan Education

1500 – 4th Avenue

Regina, SK

S4P 3V7.

Professional Certification Unit and Student Records

402 Main Street

PO Box 700

Russell, MB

R0J 1W0

For more information visit Manitoba Education & Training.

Ontario College of Teachers

101 Bloor Street West

Toronto Ontario

M5S 0A1

Phone: (416) 961-8800

Toll-free: (888) 534-2222 (Ontario only)

Fax: (416) 961-8822



Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Le ministre de l'Éducation

Monsieur François Legault

Certfication in Montreal:

Ministêre de l'éducation

600, rue Fullum

10e étage

Montréal (Québec)

H2K 4L1

Téléphone : (514) 873-4630

Certification in Quebec City

Ministère de l'Éducation

1035, rue De La Chevrotière

28e étage

Québec (Québec)

G1R 5A5

Téléphone : (418) 643-2948

Teacher Certification

Department of Education

P.O. Box 578

Halifax, Nova Scotia

B3J 2S9

Department of Education and Human Resources

P.O. Box 2000

Charlottetown, P.E.I.

C1A 7N8

Tel: (902) 368-4600

Fax: (902) 368-4663

Teacher Certification Unit - (902) 368-4650

For more information visit the Ministry of Education's. 

Registrar, Teacher Certification and Records Section

Division of School Services

Department of Education

Confederation Building, West

Block, P.O. Box 8700

St. John's, NF

A1B 4J6

Telephone: (709) 729-3023

Facsimile: (709) 729-2096 

Registrar, Teacher Certification Education, Culture and Employment

Government of the NWT

P.O. Box 1320

Yellowknife, NT

X1A 2L9

Tel: (867) 873-7392

Fax: (867) 873-0338


Nunavut Educators' Certification Service Early Childhood and School Services Division

Department of Education Government of Nunavut

Arviat, NU

X0C 0E0

Tel: (867) 857-3081

Fax: (867) 873-0338

Additional Resources

Twitter: Click here to visit ECN on Twitter.

Facebook: Click here, visit ECN's Facebook page. Keep up-to-date on new employers who join ECN, featured jobs and new content added to our site.


Faculty of Education, University of Alberta

Faculty of Education, University of Calgary

Faculty of Education, Concordia University College of Alberta

British Columbia

Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia

Education Department, Vancouver Island University

Faculty of Education, UBC Okanagan

Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University

School of Education, Trinity Western University

School of Education, Thompson Rivers University

University College of the Fraser Valley

Faculty of Education, University of Victoria 


Faculty of Education, Brandon University

Faculty of Education, University of Manitoba

Division de l'éducation, Collège universitaire de Saint-Boniface

University of Winnipeg 

New Brunswick

Faculté des sciences de l'education, Université de Moncton

Faculty of Education, University of New Brunswick

Education Department, St. Thomas University 


Faculty of Education, Memorial University of Newfoundland 

Nova Scotia

School of Education, Acadia University

Education Department, Mount Saint Vincent University

Education, Université Sainte Anne

Department of Education, St. Francis Xavier University


Faculty of Education, Brock University

Faculty of Education, Lakehead University

École des sciences de l'éducation, Université Laurentienne

School of Education, University of Ontario Institute of Technology

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto

Faculty of Education, University of Ottawa

Faculty of Education, Queen's University

Department of Education, Redeemer College

Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario

Faculty of Education, University of Windsor

Faculty of Education, York University

Faculty of Education, Wilfrid Laurier University

Teacher Education Application Service (TEAS) 

Prince Edward Island

Faculty of Education, University of Prince Edward Island 


School of Education, Bishops University

Department of Education, Concordia University

Département des sciences de l'éducation, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi

Département des sciences de l'éducation, Université du Québec à Montréal

Faculté d'éducation, Université de Sherbrooke

Faculté des sciences de l'éducation, Université Laval

Faculty of Education, McGill University


Faculty of Education, University of Regina

College of Education, University of Saskatchewan


Yukon Native Teacher Education Program, Yukon College

Outside Canada

The following list of programs are those which are outside Canada but offer training programs to Canadians.

Canisius College - Canadian Teacher Certification

D'Youville College

Niagara University 

Anything wrong or missing, please let us know.